Welcome to the product FAQ page.
We have created this product FAQ page and tried to populate it with as much information about our products as possible. Feel free to contact us if the answer to what you seek is not updated here!
WHAT ARE SUPERFOODS?
Although there is no legal or medical definition, superfoods are nutrient powerhouses that pack large doses of antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamins, and minerals. These powerful, nutrient-packed foods are amazing for your health and wellbeing. Full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and more; they’re incredibly potent in comparison to other foods weight for weight. Eating them may reduce the risk of chronic disease, and prolong life, and people who eat more of them are generally healthier than those who don’t measure on same lifestyle choices.
- They are nutrient dense so a little goes a long way. Superfoods are so densely packed with nutrients that generally a very small helping goes a long way in providing your body of the benefits they provide.
- They super-energise your body. Improvements in the digestive process, boost in body’s antioxidant producing abilities and improvements in alertness of mind are some of the reasons why superfoods generally pump us full of energy and prevent us from feeling sluggish.
- They are waistline friendly. Most superfoods also happen to be low in calories, are very easy to integrate into many diets (from low-carb, dairy free, to paleo) and are gluten-free!
- They give you gorgeous skin and hair. The antioxidants, omega 3 and nutrients in superfoods help you ward off premature ageing, helps your skin keep supple, moisturised and speeds up the repair of wear and tear within your body.
- They help you ward off diseases. Many superfoods are thought to keep diseases at bay due to their nutrient and ant-oxidant dense profile.
- They improve cognitive function and keep us alert. Certain superfoods are said to enhance an array of different aspects of brain health from improving short-term memory to increase alertness, problem-solving abilities, mental acuity and beyond!
- They improve our body’s immunity. Certain superfoods boast of antiseptic and antibiotic properties and are very high in vitamin C which helps stimulate our body’s immune system and fighting off infections better.
CAN SUPERFOODS ALONE MAKE ME SUPR HUMAN?
While superfoods can be considered as nature’s gift to us, they work in conjunction with your other lifestyle choices. In other words, superfoods can’t repair the effects of other damaging habits such as smoking, excessive drinking, lack of physical activity and unhealthy diet — they are just one piece of the overall health puzzle. It’s important to combine the intake of superfoods with making consistent healthy choices which include exercising, getting proper rest, maintaining a healthy weight and eating a healthy diet overall.
Superfoods aren’t magic — they are super because they are loaded with nutrients that play a role in promoting health and preventing disease.
WHAT ARE ANTIOXIDANTS?
Antioxidants come up frequently in discussions about good health and preventing diseases. These powerful substances prohibit (and in some cases even prevent) the oxidation of other molecules in the body. Antioxidants are very important to good health because if free radicals are left unchallenged, they can cause a wide range of illnesses and chronic diseases. SUPR SUPERFOOD + PROTEIN SMOOTHIE MIX and SUPR SEED MIX are loaded with superfoods that contain antioxidants in copious amounts.
WHAT IS PROTEIN?
Protein is one of the three nutrients found in food that the body requires in large amounts. Along with carbohydrates and fat, protein is essential for the human body.
Proteins are made of small compounds called amino acids. There are hundreds of amino acids that exist in nature, but the human body only utilizes 22 of them.
The human body can produce all but nine of the amino acids that it needs. These nine are called essential amino acids and must be consumed through food.
WHY IS PROTEIN SO IMPORTANT?
Protein is the building block of yourself.
Nothing is more important than protein. It really is the fuel that motivates and supports your body in building healthy tissues and cells. Vital organs, muscles, tissues and even some hormones of the body are made from proteins. Additionally, proteins create haemoglobin and important antibodies. Proteins are involved in just about every single body function from controlling blood sugar levels to healing wounds and fighting off bacteria. Simply put, without proteins, life would not exist.
Proteins are used every day to keep the body going. Because they’re used to develop, grow and maintain just about every part of our bodies — from our skin and hair to our digestive enzymes and immune system antibodies — they’re constantly being broken down and must be replaced.
HOW MUCH PROTEIN DO I NEED?
Generally, RDA recommends 1 gram of protein per kilogram of your body weight. Exactly how much you need changes with age and lifestyle. Indicative protein requirements are:
- Babies need about 10 grams a day.
- School-age kids need 19-34 grams a day.
- Teenage boys need up to 52 grams a day.
- Teenage girls need 46 grams a day.
- Adult men need about 56 grams a day.
- Adult women need about 46 grams a day (71 grams, if pregnant or breastfeeding)
You should get at least 10% of your daily calories but not more than 35%, from protein, according to the Institute of Medicine.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I EAT TOO LITTLE PROTEIN?
Protein deficiency could result in one or many of the following:
- A sluggish metabolism
- Hair fall
- Dry, dull and flaky skin
- Trouble losing weight even after regular exercising
- Poor sleep patterns
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Trouble building muscle mass
- Low energy levels and fatigue
- Poor concentration and trouble learning
- Moodiness and mood swings
- Muscle, bone and joint pain
- Blood sugar changes that can lead to diabetes
- Slow wound healing
- Low immunity
WHY DO I NEED TO SUPPLEMENT MY DIET WITH PROTEIN?
As per a recent study done by IMRB (Indian Medical Research Board), 9 out of 10 Indians are protein deficient! Even non-vegetarians in India have protein deficiency in their diets. The diets of most of the Indians are primarily high in fats and carbohydrates and the difference in what is required to what is consumed is as high as 28 grams per person on average. Our regular diet is not able to bridge this gap resulting in protein deficiency and consequences thereof. SUPR SUPERFOOD + PROTEIN SMOOTHIE MIX and SUPR SEED MIX are loaded with superfoods and superior plant-based, non-GMO pea protein which is easily digested and absorbed by the body.
WHY CHOOSE PEA PROTEIN?
According to a study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, pea protein provided the same improvements in muscle thickness as compared to a test group that supplemented with whey protein.
Some of the benefits of choosing pea protein are:
- Vegetarian friendly
- Vegan friendly
- Perfect for lactose intolerant fitness buffs
- Helps with satiety
- Cholesterol free
- Combats high blood pressure when paired with other complementary changes to lifestyle.
- Helps lower triglyceride and cholesterol when paired with other complementary changes to lifestyle
- Boasts of a complete amino acid profile
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT WAYS I CAN INCORPORATE SUPR SUPERFOOD+ PROTEIN SMOOTHIE MIX IN MY DIET?
There are so many ways to use this nutrient dense powder that you would be surprised!
- Use them in your smoothies
- Make your own smoothie bowls and let your eyes feast too with the beautiful creations you can come up with
- Sprinkle them on your raita
- Use the unflavoured SUPR protein in your dough while making rotis, parathas etc
- Add them to make pancakes
- Use them in the baking of cookies, muffins, cakes, bread etc!
- Stir into yoghurt and top with fruit, nuts and toasted grains
For recipes from us and other SUPR humans, refer to our recipe section on our blog.
Use it some other way? Then send us your favourite way of using the mix and you could be added to our “SUPR HALL OF FAME” if featured!
WHY SHOULD I INCLUDE SEEDS IN MY DIET?
Seeds are filled with a beneficial compliment of essential fats, protein, a vast array of different nutrients and phytonutrients and play an important role in supporting health. They are simply bursting with goodness. Seeds are also an excellent alternative to nuts; often less rich and easier to digest. Some of the many benefits of incorporating seeds in your diet are:
- High in essential fats. Flax seeds and Chia seeds come up top for omega-3 – an essential fat that is excellent for heart and brain function, often lacking in most diets.
- Generally an excellent source of protein. Using a balance of different seeds in your diet will also ensure a great supply of protein.
- Nutrient dense. Seeds are jam-packed with nutrients.
- Excellent source of fibre. Fibre is good for blood sugar control, helping to slow the breakdown of carbohydrates and absorption of sugar. It is also great for promoting healthy bowel movement, heart health and weight-loss management.
- Lower cholesterol and blood pressure. Seeds (to varying degrees) possess important cholesterol-fighting fibres known as lignans. Flax, Chia and Sesame seeds contain exceptionally beneficial levels – more than most other foods. Studies also show that this beneficial action from seeds can in turn lower blood pressure.
- Antioxidant Rich. All seeds have a beneficial level of antioxidants. Flax is one of the highest rated antioxidants amongst plant foods.
Eating a variety of different seeds on a regular basis will ensure that you receive a healthy dose of phosphorus, magnesium, selenium, manganese, zinc, iron, copper, B vitamins, vitamin K and antioxidant-rich Vitamin E. All of these nutrients are essential for supporting health on multiple levels. Therefore we have created the perfect superfood SEED mix so you can incorporate a variety of seeds into your diet without any trouble!
WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS WAYS I CAN INCLUDE SEEDS IN MY DIET?
There is no limit to your creativity when it comes to using seed mixtures in your diet. Some of these are:
- Add them to your smoothies (compliment the existing seeds already in small doses in SUPR SUPERFOOD+PROTEIN SMOOTHIE MIX)
- Grind them and add the ground seeds to your atta while making bread, chapatis, naan, etc or use as a garnish on the same breads
- Add seeds in baking muffins, cakes, breads etc
- Try adding the whole seeds while making sabzi! The crunch provided by the seeds impart a heavenly favour to many dry vegetable preparations like sukhe aloo, fried bhindi, arbi etc
- Toast the seed mixtures and add to your salads instead of deep-fried breadcrumbs for that crunch
- Add seed mixture into your frying batter while frying pakoras, fish, chicken, vegetables for that extra crunch
- Sprinkle them in your curd preparations like raita
- Liberally add them in your dips while eating snacks
- Make a delicious and healthy snack and replacement over nankeens by toasting the seed mixture with dried coconut flakes and choice of your spices!
- Add them to your pasta
- Add them to your cooked rice
- Nibble on them as is on the go to boost energy levels when afternoon slump strike.
WHY CHIA SEEDS?
- High in iron, folate, calcium, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids and soluble fibre
- Calcium and magnesium promote bone and dental health.
- Excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to raise HDL cholesterol. HDL is the “good” cholesterol that protects against heart attack and stroke.
- Their soluble fibre helps decrease cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar, and make you feel full longer.
- They are also rich in anti-oxidants keeping the free radicals in check.
WHY PUMPKIN SEEDS?
- Great source of B vitamins, iron, magnesium, zinc, and protein.
- One-quarter cup of pumpkin seeds contains nearly half of the RDA of magnesium which participates in a wide range of vitally important physiological functions like pumping of your heart, proper bone and tooth formation, relaxation of your blood vessels, and proper bowel function amongst others.Magnesium has been shown to benefit your blood pressure and help prevent sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack, and stroke.
- Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc which assists in performing many bodily functions like improved immunity, cell growth and division, sleep, mood, your senses of taste and smell, eye and skin health, insulin regulation, and male sexual function.
- Pumpkin seed oil is rich in natural phytoestrogens and studies suggest it may lead to a significant increase in good “HDL” cholesterol along with decreases in blood pressure, hot flashes, headaches, joint pains and other menopausal symptoms in postmenopausal women.
- They are rich in healthy fats, antioxidants and fibres and may provide benefits for heart and liver health.
- Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of tryptophan, an amino acid that gets converted into serotonin, which in turn is converted into melatonin, the “sleep hormone.” Eating pumpkin seeds a few hours before bed may be especially beneficial for providing your body with a restful night’s sleep.
WHY SUNFLOWER SEEDS?
- Sunflower seeds are especially rich in poly-unsaturated fatty acid linoleic acid and in mono-unsaturated oleic acid that helps lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increase HDL or “good cholesterol” in the blood which has been shown to benefit your blood pressure, prevent strokes and maintain a healthy heart.
- They are an excellent source of proteins loaded with amino acids such as tryptophan that are essential for growth, especially in children.
- Sunflower seeds contain health benefiting polyphenol compounds such as chlorogenic acid, quinic acid, and caffeic acids which are natural anti-oxidants and help remove harmful oxidant molecules from the body.
- They are an excellent source of B vitamins, including folate (which helps prevent birth defects), and vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that protects cells from damage, helps maintain healthy hair and skin and may work to prevent cancer
- They are incredibly rich in calcium, iron, manganese, zinc, magnesium, selenium, and copper which play a vital role in maintaining healthy bones, red blood cell production, enzyme secretion, hormone production, as well as in the regulation of cardiac and skeletal muscle activities.
WHY FLAX SEEDS?
- Flax seeds are high in anti-oxidants and are one of the best sources of lignan, an estrogen-like chemical compound that works on the free radicals in the body. They have strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which may mitigate and protect against the risk of various types of cancer.
- They improve digestive health as they contain both soluble and insoluble fibre.
- The amino and omega 3 fatty acids in flaxseeds can significantly lower high blood pressure. A diet rich in flaxseeds can prevent hardening of the arteries.
- Research has suggested that eating flaxseeds daily can assist in reducing the cholesterol levels. It contains omega 3 fatty acids, fibre and lignan, which work together to reduce cholesterol.
- Their high content of omega 3 fatty acids are extremely important for the healthy growth and development of the skin cells. Flaxseeds and its oil contain several skin-friendly nutrients that can help to improve the health of the skin.
- They contribute to healthy scalp and hair. Omega 3 fatty acids in flaxseeds increase the hair’s elasticity, making it less prone to breakage and giving you stronger hair. The anti-inflammatory properties of flaxseeds also reduce the possibility of dandruff, eczema and other scalp conditions. The seeds stimulate the production of sebum in the scalp, preventing flaking and dandruff.
WHY SESAME SEEDS?
- They are a great source of protein. Protein makes up approximately 20% of the seed.
- Sesame oil aids to lower blood pressure in diabetics due to its high magnesium content.
- High Source of cholesterol-lowering phytosterols that helps lower cholesterol levels by block cholesterol production. Black sesame seeds are especially high in phytosterols.
- High fibre content aids digestion and keeps it in good shape.
- Helps burn fat. Certain phytochemical found in sesame seeds are known to boost your body’s fat burning abilities
- Its oil can help heart health by preventing atherosclerotic lesions with the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound known as sesamol.
- Sesame seeds contain anti-cancer compounds including phytic acid, magnesium and phytosterols.
- They can help you get a restful sleep and reduce anxiety. They contain the stress-relieving minerals magnesium and calcium. Sesame also contains the calming vitamins thiamin and tryptophan that help produce serotonin, which reduces pain, assists moods and helps you sleep deeply.
WHY WATERMELON SEEDS?
- Watermelon seeds are good for hair. The seeds contain magnesium, protein and iron which strengthens your hair, prevents thinning and promotes hair growth.
- Watermelon seeds promote glowing skin. These seeds are abundant with fatty acids like oleic acid and linoleum acid, which is beneficial in making your skin healthy. The unsaturated fatty acids make your skin moisturized, fairer and smoother.
- Watermelons are loaded with many important nutrients. The seeds contain protein, essential fatty acid, vitamins, and minerals. They are packed with minerals like iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper and manganese; amino acids like arginine, lysine, tryptophan and glumatic acid and fatty acid like oleic acid, linoleum acid, etc, besides containing vitamin B complex.
- Watermelon seeds are good for your heart. The presence of magnesium, arginine and omega 6 fatty acids is good for heart function, metabolic process and a healthy blood pressure.
- Watermelon seeds are great for the nervous system. The seeds are packed with vitamin B complex including niacin, folate, thiamine, patotheinic acid and vitamin B6.
WHY MUSKMELON SEEDS?
- Muskmelon seeds are an excellent source of plant-based protein. These seeds include about 3.6% protein, 4% fat, and 2.5% carbohydrate. In accordance with research published in the World Applied Sciences Journal, this particular nutritional content is just like soy milk as well as verifies that muskmelon seeds are a good method of obtaining protein.
- Muskmelon seeds are incredibly rich in anti-oxidants as well as Vitamins A, C, and E. Vitamins A, C, and also E are especially helpful with regards to eyesight as they help prevent macular degeneration within the eyes. The antioxidants within the seeds assist with the reduction of free radicals. Vitamin C within the seeds is additionally extremely effective in eliminating off cold and flu by increasing your defence mechanisms.
- The seeds may also be a great resource of minerals just like magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium, therefore assisting with the control of blood pressure. Consuming muskmelon seeds may also enhance bone strength and density and may reduce the likelihood of developing Type 2 diabetes. Muskmelon seeds may also be utilized in dealing with migraines, insomnia, and depressive disorders.
- The omega-3 fatty acids perfectly found on the muskmelon seeds take great care of your cardiovascular function and also play a vital role in eliminating cardiovascular diseases. Also, they are an excellent source of unsaturated fat (your body needs some amount of fat).
- Consuming muskmelon seeds can definitely make sure a healthy hair growth as well as nails, thanks to the high protein content within them. It may also help maintain the tissues within our body.
- Studies also indicate that muskmelon seeds may help discharge intestinal worms. Moreover, these types of seeds can eliminate excessive phlegm through the body and offer rest from congestion.
- Muskmelon seeds and also the ‘netting’ around them are a great resource of fibre and therefore, they assist you in losing weight.
- Muskmelon seeds provide omega three fatty acids that are recognized to aid your cardiovascular function and play a vital role in eliminating cardiovascular diseases.